176/365 shocking

This ring shocks the wearer when the button is pushed, I used the piezoelectric ignitor from a butane grill lighter. It doesn’t hurt too badly, but reverberates through the copper well enough that it’s oddly uncomfortable and kinda scary. I pulled out the wire that sends the shock for last part of the video, you can sorta see the spark. I would like to play with the design more. At one point I had the wire running into the silver button cap to shock the pusher, which is also fun.

The piezoelectric ignitor is an interesting device. According to Wikipedia, “It consists of a small, spring-loaded hammer which, when a button is pressed, hits a crystal of PZT or quartz crystal. Quartz is piezoelectric, which means that it creates a voltage when deformed. This sudden forceful deformation produces a high voltage and subsequent electrical discharge.” Pretty cool, but it takes quite a bit of force to push the button, I’d like to find a substitute.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: